Friday, December 12, 2008

Finding Myself

24th October 1945, shortly after World War II, The United Nations was established with the sole purpose of bringing peace to the modern world. 24th October 1987, I was born with the same purpose ;-P. Erik Erikson (the Freudian psychologist), theorized that now I'm 21, I'm moving out of the 5th phase of life he termed 'Identity Vs Role Confusion'. I never did have a full idea on what he meant, but well, I guess what he tried to say is that by now, I’m supposed to have my own real identity, or else I will end up having confusion about my roles in life!

Have I've found my identity?

Guess so. ..Few years before, I can say that I spent my lifetime pondering upon questions of identity. I was more concerned about what I appear to be in the eyes of others instead of what I really feel I am. In the words of Natasha Bedingfield: “The slightest remark would embark me on a journey of self-doubt”. I can still remember how I used to get angry, hurt, or otherwise frustrated when people reject my ideas, tell me no, or give me some other form of disapproval. But I did learn a lot from the past few years. I gave myself a break. I reminded myself that even in a landslide election victory in which a candidate secures 55% of the vote, he or she is left with 45% of the population that wishes someone else were the winner. Pretty humbling, is it?


The point is: This is my life. It’s a brief candle. I won’t spend it trying to be what other people want me to be. The question I should be asking right now is: “Am I who I wanna be?”.


No comments:

Popular Posts